Palm Beach Center for Pelvic Health: Linda A Kiley, MD
Urogynecologist located in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
As the body ages, hormone production falls which may lead to symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats, irritability, sagging skin, weight gain, decreased sex drive, and mental fogginess. Dealing with these symptoms can be a struggle. Linda Kiley, MD, at the Palm Beach Center for Pelvic Health is able to help women in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, manage and control their hormones. Call today and schedule an appointment to start getting the relief you deserve.
Hormone Replacement Therapy Q & A
What is hormone replacement therapy?
As women reach menopause, hormone levels including estrogen, progesterone and testosterone begin to naturally decline. This may lead to many symptoms which can cause both emotional and physical discomfort. Hormone replacement therapy is an option to help women replace the hormones their bodies are no longer producing.
Typical symptoms of menopause may include:
- Hot flashes
- Vaginal dryness
- Night sweats
- Sleep disturbances
- Low sex drive
- Sagging skin/wrinkling
Is hormone replacement therapy right for me?
Hormone replacement therapy is designed to help women in perimenopause and menopause (usually mid to late-40s and 50s and beyond). This treatment can also help women in the following stages of life:
- Perimenopause – The period of time prior to the final menstrual period when hormone production declines, usually between 3 and 10 years prior to the last normal menstrual period.
- Menopause – Defined as the period after the last spontaneous menstrual period. Typically, a woman is officially menopausal (postmenopausal means the same thing) after one year without a menstrual period. Symptoms are often severe during this time as hormone levels are still fluctuating widely. A woman in late perimenopause may go several months without a period and then get a cycle. Working with your doctor to determine the best course of action is important during this time.
Women with the following conditions may not be good candidates for hormone replacement therapy:
- Heart or liver disease
- History of blood clots or predisposition to blood clots
- Cancer of the breast or uterus
- History of stroke
- History of heart attack
- Known or suspected pregnancy
The health professionals at the Palm Beach Center for Pelvic Health can help determine if this treatment is right for you. Call today to schedule an appointment by calling the office at 561-701-2841.
What should I expect from a hormone replacement therapy treatment?
Hormone replacement therapy comes in many different forms. Some forms of hormone replacement therapy can be taken in the form of a pill, applied as a cream or spray, or placed under the skin in a pellet form. Any of these treatments may be effective in replacing the hormones no longer being produced.
Our team will evaluate you and monitor your hormone levels, then review your treatment options to determine the therapy that is right for you. Once you are on a replacement regimen, they will monitor your hormone levels as well as perform other period evaluations to be sure your treatment plan is appropriate.
If you are experiencing signs and symptoms of menopause or the decline in hormone production, call the Palm Beach Center for Pelvic Health to schedule an appointment to see if hormone replacement therapy can help.